Obsessed, wanted Geetika Sharma to live with me, only me: Gopal Goyal Kanda





Former Haryana minister and MDLR chief Gopal Goyal Kanda, facing charges of abetting the suicide of former airhostess Geetika Sharma, has told police he used his “position, wealth, force and other resources” to “tempt and intimidate” Geetika because he did not want to let her out of his sight. He has described his feelings for her as one of “obsession and possessiveness”.

“I wanted her to live with me, only me, as my own,” Kanda is quoted as having told police. His “confession” has been submitted in court by police with the noting that he “refused to sign” the statement.

Kanda recalls spotting Geetika during the MDLR Airlines cabin crew interviews. “On seeing Geetika Sharma, I told my board members that this girl is smart and beautiful, so give her the job. Geetika was not yet 18. I said train her for six months and by then she will be 18. She was later handed a trainee cabin crew appointment letter... I liked Geetika a lot, so I quickly appointed her a senior cabin crew member in August 2008.”

In 2009, when MDLR Airlines stopped operations, Kanda made her group coordinator, MDLR group of companies, with its office in Gurgaon. Her appointment, the statement quotes him as saying, required her to report to him every evening. “Geetika would give me a daily report every evening. Our daily meetings brought us together and I got attracted to Geetika. After the airline shut down, whenever Geetika spoke about leaving the company, I raised her salary and offered a promotion to keep her in my office,” he told police.

“In 2010, Geetika quit but her papers were still with the company. She asked me several times for her papers but I did not want her to leave. I directed my company not to return her papers and not to give her an NOC (no-objection certificate) because I did not want her to go away. I wanted her to return to me for a job.

But in my absence, she was handed the papers and a NOC. She joined the Emirates in June 2010.”

Kanda is quoted as having admitted that he hatched a “plan” with his company’s human resource head Aruna Chadha to get Geetika back. “I put pressure on her family members because I was not willing to let her go at any cost. I had a special friendship with her and spoke to her for hours... to win her over.”

According to the statement, he and Aruna travelled to Dubai and tried to convince Geetika to leave Emirates. When she refused, he had an email sent to Emirates that she had forged her employment papers.

“In the name of conducting an investigation, Aruna and I sent one Chanshivroop Singh Nayyar to Dubai. Then in true film style, I turned up to defend Geetika, spoke to Emirates, made her resign and returned her safe to India,” Kanda is quoted as saying.

He said Geetika refused to work with him after returning to India. “With the help of Chanshivroop, I created a bogus email and had it sent to Geetika to scare her. She became very worried about her family and ended up joining my company. To persuade her family and tempt Geetika, I made her Director with a salary of Rs 60,000. I gave her a Honda City and later a BMW car along with a driver.”

“In March 2011, I bought a flat in Ashok Vihar in the name of my daughter. To make Geetika happy, I gave her the keys to the flat. After some days, I tried to get close to her once again but she stopped coming to office. I tried to persuade her but she stopped taking phone calls from Aruna and me.”

The statement quotes Kanda as admitting that he later tried to turn Geetika’s mother against her.

“I wanted to teach Geetika a lesson. As a last resort, Aruna and I told her mother about her activities and raised questions. We thought that once Geetika’s mother confronts her, she will have no choice except return to me. I did this because of my obsession and possessiveness. I wanted her to live with me, only me, as my own,” he told police.

According to Kanda, the moment he heard about Geetika’s suicide, he fled from his house. “I took shelter at different places in Rajasthan. I changed places regularly in Jaipur, Udaipur, Sangariya. Fearing arrest, I switched off my cell phones and changed cars. I used three mobile phones which are kept in Gurgaon,” he told police.















Geetika suicide case: Aruna Chaddha's bail plea in court today
IBNLive.com
New Delhi: The bail plea of MDLR executive Aruna Chaddha in connection with theGeetika Sharma suicide case will come up for hearing at a Delhi court on Friday. In her August 4 suicide note, the 23-year-old former air-hostess had said that she was ...
See all stories on this topic »

IBNLive.com
Geetika suicide: Gopal Kanda's bail plea rejected
IBNLive.com
Former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda is one of the accused in the Geetika Sharma suicide case. Tweet. Comments (0). Related Latest Popular. PM to meet Rajapaksa, raise Tamil rights, reconciliation · Don't expect rollback; hope it doesn't happen ...
See all stories on this topic »
Geetika suicide case: Gopal Kanda denied bail
Press Trust of India
New Delhi, Sep 20 (PTI) Former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda was today denied bail in the GeetikaSharma suicide case by a Delhi court which said further probe was needed in view of a police report that the victim was pregnant in March this year.
See all stories on this topic »
Aruna Chaddha moves high court for bail
Firstpost
#Geetika Sharma #NewsTrackerPrint. Email Share Comments. New Delhi: Aruna Chaddha, an accused in former flight attendant Geetika Sharma's suicide case, Thursday moved a bail application in the Delhi High Court. Geetika Sharma with Kanda.
See all stories on this topic »

Comments